What is Spinal Decompression Therapy?
Spinal decompression treatment is a nonsurgical, FDA-approved treatment for back pain. Spinal decompression works by gently stretching the spine by a machine (like the one in the image above), which takes the pressure off of the discs and nerves in your spine. This allows the discs to heal and the nerves to become decompressed which alleviates pain. We often use spinal decompression treatment with other forms of physical therapy, such as heat and cold therapy, electrical stimulation, and massage.
The Causes of Back Pain
Back pain can be a debilitating condition that can stop you from living a normal and functional life. It can be caused by a variety of conditions or factors, which include but are not limited to the following:
- Herniated or bulging discs, which is when the discs in your spine become damaged and start to bulge or herniate.
- Degenerative disc disease, which is when the discs in your spine begin to deteriorate.
- Spinal stenosis, which is a condition that causes the narrowing of the spinal canal.
- Osteoarthritis, which is a degenerative joint disease.
- Pinched nerve, which is when a nerve is compressed or pinched.
- Sciatica (lower back, hip, and leg pain), which is when the sciatic nerve becomes compressed.
Why it works
Though traction, physical therapy, and traditional manipulation we can reduce disc pressure, but cannot achieve negative pressure, which may be necessary to correct the condition of your spine. That is where decompression therapy comes into the picture. The stretching and re-positioning of your spine is slow and gradual and will occur over the course of a few weeks. This is so your body/back muscles won’t “lock down” or stiffen up during treatment. Decompression therapy is not a one time fix but is a therapy which requires multiple visits for long lasting results.
The Benefits of Spinal Decompression
1. It can restore movement, mobility, and function.
With this treatment, you could find that. you have improved range of motion and fewer restrictions on your mobility. You may also be able to participate in activities and hobbies that you enjoy, without pain.
2. It can provide relief from pain, numbness, and tingling.
If you are experiencing pain, numbness, or tingling in your back, legs, or arms, spinal decompression treatment can provide relief.
3. It can help to prevent further degeneration of the discs and nerves in your spine.
Spinal decompression treatment can help to prevent the discs and nerves in your spine from deteriorating further. This is important because it can help to avoid surgery and other invasive treatments.
4. It is a nonsurgical option for treating back pain.
Spinal decompression treatment is a nonsurgical option for treating back pain. This means that there is no risk of infection or other complications associated with surgery. There might be minor soreness after the treatment, but there is relatively no downtime.
5. It is an affordable treatment option.
Spinal decompression treatment is often more affordable than surgery and other invasive treatments. The cost and benefits far outweigh not proceeding forward with this therapy as your first step in your healing journey.